Friday, September 14, 2012

Why Am I Blogging for Homework!?

The obvious answer to this questions would be, "Well, you're in a Social Media Class, duh!" but the answer is much more complex than that.

Recently, I have noticed that social media could possibly be taking over the world and if you are not up-to-date on the new trends, such as blogging and twitter, then you will be left in the dust.

Personally, as a full-time college student, full-time employee and entrepreneur, blogging is the quickest way for me to stay connected with friends, family and even strangers who can relate.

Academically, it makes sense for this class to have a blog for many reasons:
  • A blog is the easiest, fastest way to get your ideas on the internet and as long as someone is interested in what you have to say, you have an audience. Getting started with this class will help us all either get started and take that first step or continue to practice in a blog scene with the class as our audience.
  • Having a blog will allow us all to get to know each other better and read each others thoughts on certain issues.
  • This class will allow us to start a blog with no expectations except to learn and grow. Constructive criticism will also help us all become better "blog writers" and eventually become experts!
After this semester, I would love to have made some connections with students and be able to network.

Since I am in the process of opening up my new online clothing boutiques, I have hopes of driving some students to visit my future site and in return tell their friends about it. (Crossing my fingers this happens before December!)

I also hope that this blog will be the perfect tool for helping me become a better blogger to attract more attention to my business, my brand and myself.

As I write for this class and build my personal brand, I will show my personality and allow others to feel like they "know me" and can relate to me.

Honesty is what makes others want to trust you and eventually want to do business with you.

The blog that I have chosen to follow is one that I have been following for years. 

Jennifer Stano is Co-designer of a swimsuit line called Have Faith Swimgerie, fashion/beauty/health blogger and a major fashionista! She has been my inspiration for many aspects in my life and her blog is always fun and informative for the everyday girl.

www.jenniferstano.blogspot.com

Since I am obsessed with everything beauty and fashion, she is like the older sister I never had and always wished for. She also started her own swimsuit line 2 years ago and posts business tips from time to time.

Estefania Leon

1 comment:

  1. Estefania,

    I love the tone and tenor of your writing. You write like you speak and that's SO important for online writing.

    A few thoughts to help you take this to the next level:

    1. Be careful with generalizations - e.g., "we are all doing" or "many people." You either need to back up generalizations with research or go completely personal - e.g., "All of my friends"

    2. Watch long paragraphs. For readability, you want no more than 2 short sentences in each paragraph.

    3. Be specific when you can. You talk about your busienss. It would be so much more impactful if you described your business. Be specific!

    Thanks and well done.
    Perri

    ReplyDelete