Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Twitter ? No Way ! "

1st reaction : Overdose !
 
Let me explain to you...
I don't know if you have the same reaction than me, but when there is a good movie, everybody rushes to watch it, everybody talks about it, advertisings and promotion are everywhere, and for me, this is sometimes TOO MUCH ! I have an overdose of it even before watching it...

This is what happened to me with Twitter.

It had been several years that I had heard a lot of things about this social media. Before coming to the United States, I thought that Twitter was just a copy of facebook but worse, because of the limit  in characters. Now I know I was wrong...

 
2nd reaction : Why not me ?

Twitter is much more developed in the US than in France. Or maybe it's just the way we talk about it which is different and more negative in France. Before coming here, the only thing I knew about it, was just that people were describing their lives on it, nothing more. I could not imagine that Twitter could have an utility !

Now that I live in the US, the speech is different, and I changed my mind. Twitter is not as stupid as I had imagined ! You can use it for business (job opportunities), to get informed of what happens in the world or simply follow the things you are interested in !

My conclusion to this would be that nothing is worth the experience ! In a lot of situations, we are absorbed by our stereotypes, but in fact if you never try, you'll never know !

 
3rd reaction: let's do it !
 
Today, I created my own account and chose to follow several pages. I focused on different subjects I am interested in : music, photography and business pages.
By the way, I would recommend you to visit this web site Earth from Above. Yann Arthus Bertrand is a french photographer who travelled all around the world and acts in favour of the environment.

I am happy to have experienced Twitter because I have discovered a useful tool for my personal career and my general culture !
Greenpeace is the NGO I chose to follow on Twitter, to get informed of their actions, environment issues and their jobs/internships opportunities.
 
Charlotte Flomet

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte,

    I laughed out loud when reading your post. Very well done!

    Great informal and conversational tone. And it is clear that you really tried working through Twitter even if you had preconceived notions.

    Why is the reaction to Twitter so negative in France? Is the reaction negative to all social media or just Twitter?

    Would love to learn more! Perhaps a blog posting?

    Thanks!
    Perri

    ReplyDelete