Monday, October 1, 2012

The Men's Lifestyle Blogger

As a profession, I would love to spend the work-week discussing things that men love: music, food, sports, movies, etc. Although I'm a college student, I still spend countless hours on the web looking up new music from my favorite groups, catching up on sports games and statistics, and gaining knowledge all around through interesting sites such as Twitter and Wikipedia. Now if I could somehow turn this interest into a profession and make those hours of perusing on the web useful, I'll be set...

From my title of this post, as well as the title of my "personal brand", one would think that my proposed blog would be solely for men. But that is not the case at all, whatsoever. I feel as though there are many girls out there who share the same musical, theatrical, and athletic interests as men. I have found out about bands and songs that I still love to this day from women, and to top that, I've met some girls that know more about sports than I do. Therefore, my blog is for all types of people. Dark, light, male, female, young, old, whatever.

Unfortunately, my idea seems to be getting more and more popular, seeing as many wise people have already hopped on the bandwagon of creating sites based around men's typical interests. So this means that I must dig deeper and out-of-the-box to make my brand stick to the consumer population.

The most logical thing to do is to get my brand out there as much as I can. This is a basic marketing approach for whatever it is you are trying to sell or promote. Once I get things going, I want my presence to be known in any known forum of social media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, even Blogger.

Another place I can go to get my name out is on the websites of well-known music, film and sports websites. These companies may have websites of their own, but people go there to get information, not to receive feedback or to have conversation. That is the difference between my blog and theirs: I don't want to necessarily inform people, but rather get their feedback and their opinions on new albums, films, restaurants, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    Thank you for the post. I am admittedly struggling with your post for a few reasons:

    1. Please edit this and apply the writing style that we discussed in class. This does not follow the reading or the discussion style I taught in class. I am going to start letter grading next week.

    2. The assignment for this week was to harden up your brand and to a) get your brand statement done (paragraph); b) research; c) develop your plan based upon the articles. This was not done in this piece.

    3. Please come and see me in class if you are having trouble. In the meantime, please do the assignment as outlined - and if you want "men's lifestyle to be your personal brand," consider other ways to build your brand other than a blog.

    Perri

    ReplyDelete